Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Still alive

Wow I can't believe I am writing something right now.  It's been a while.  I have been pretty busy lately.  I was in a career school and now we are getting ready to move across the country.  I very much enjoy writing and I'm not exactly sure why I haven't been back sooner.  My family and career are important to me but lately I have been thinking that maybe sometimes I need to be important to me as well if that makes any sense.  We can't allow ourselves to become consumed by the people and things we care for.  Don't get me wrong my wife and children are my life, but I realize that I still need to reserve a small piece of that of interested in myself, just as me and my wife need to spend time without the children once in a while. 

I heard a story once, I'm not sure who told it (might have been a chaplain....) but it was about a married couple.  When they first met they were deeply in love.  Of course children soon came into the picture and they dived into the parenting role headfirst.  These people were amazing parents, they attended every sporting event, hosted birthday parties, and took their kids out every weekend.  The children had an amazing upbringing but it's sad to say that now they have to visit their parents separately, they are divorced.  Why did this happy couple split up?  To the outside viewer they had the picture perfect American family.  Well the parents were making a big mistake the entire time they were raising the children.  They were not taking time out from being a parent to focus on each other.  They remained happy during the children's upbringing but after the kids left home they realized that the two of them alone together had nothing left.  They became so absorbed in their kids that they forget about being in love with each other and this realization came crashing in once the kids moved out. 

I have seen evidence of this type of situation in real life I believe and it can easily happen to anyone.  We all want to be good parents but we need to focus on ourselves as well.  Couples need to spend some time alone with each other.  Tell the kids to go play for a while, they will be alright.  Of course this cannot be done in excess, there needs to be a happy medium.  Just as couples need to spend some time alone, we all need to spend some time taking care of ourselves as individuals also.  Make time to perform your hobbies or things that interest you.  Play your instrument, work in your garage, buy yourself something from the mall.  Whatever it is that you like to do make sure that you make time for it now and then.  We can't be givers all the time.  Every once in a while it is good and healthy to take a little bit.

Phew......after this big huge tangent I went on I guess my point is this.  I haven't written in a while.  I like to write.  I will make time for writing.

Good day

No comments:

Post a Comment