Friday, March 10, 2017

A prison

A desert wasteland has become my home. I can’t leave. I’d just die from the elements in a day or two, if I didn’t get picked off by the locals first. I don’t know what I did to deserve this. I’ve always been a good person, or so I thought. I smiled, and held the doors for old ladies. I did my homework, even if I didn’t always get the best grades. I got a job, and did well. But now I’m in prison.

I wake up in my cell. Another day. Another day that’s going to be exactly the same as yesterday. It’s a repetitious cycle that never changes. Go work out first. Sometimes it’s hard to keep up the motivation to exercise, but then I see the faces around me. Eyes filled with lunacy or hatred stare at me. Even worse are the eyes that are empty. I don’t belong here. I don’t fit in. I’m not like them. Yet I’m here just the same, and I have to protect myself. So I exercise to keep my strength up. I never know when an attack might come, so I must always be ready.

Leaving the gym exhausted, I go to work. Sometimes I wish they would make me do real work. Send me out to dig ditches or clean the bathrooms…. Anything to get me out of this cage. For 12 hours straight I am forced to stare at computer screens, making sure some mysterious process keeps working the way it’s supposed to. I don’t even know what I’m looking at. I just stare at the monitors and tell the guard if I notice a change. If I do what I’m supposed to do, I get rewarded with a cold bowl of slop to eat. If I make a mistake I get nothing.

Work is finished and I feel like my eyeballs are bleeding. I don’t know how much more of this I can take. I trudge across the scorched earth back to my cell. My brain is fried and I need to sleep. When I get to my cell I collapse onto my rigid cot that squeaks like crazy and I can feel the madness beating on the door to my mind. It’s getting more and more difficult to keep it out. I don’t know how much longer I can continue before I lose my grip on my sanity or just give up entirely.

There is one thing though that seems to keep me from falling into the abyss. A dream. It floats above my bed and seems to whisper to me as I drift to sleep. It’s the one thing of beauty in this hell of a life. As I drift off to sleep each night the dream speaks to me, and I seem to enter another world and there I speak with an angel. She is so beautiful and I think she is watching over me. I hope I’m not hallucinating. I hope she is real. If she isn’t, I’m a goner….



18 comments:

  1. This is very intense. I can only think of the prison of life and hoping to find beauty or some deeper meaning to it all. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, i don't read many things as intense as this! You have a wonderful way with words I have to say - very bereft and heartfelt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just always remember that there is a reason for everything. I know some ex-prisoners that has changed their life and comes close to God because they were reading bible inside the cell almost everyday and the Holy Spirit come upon them and make their life more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really intense. I really felt every word. You don't mince words in your storytelling and I like that.
    Katja xxx
    www.katnapped.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy intense. I wish I had words as beautiful as yours to explain what this felt like to me. I felt trapped, like I am in that prison with him, I felt like I couldn't move. You made me feel this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's really nice of you to say. Thank's for reading!

      Delete
  6. Very descriptive experience. I love your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a way we're all prisoners until we escape the cage that we're in, that is. Maybe it's time that you broke the routine and did something new.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's quite an angel if that's the case. It sounds like you need some time off of your usual routine. A vacation wouldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so relate to you as far as going to work out at a gym. I can also relate to feeling like your in a prison. I often feel like that to since I work from home. This is a great post. I hope your angel is real too. You need some excitement in your life to get you out of that jail cell you feel trapped in. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very intense and wonderfully written!
    | diaryofasouthernmillennial.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very powerful! I just recently moved back 'home' and feel like I am in a horrible prison myself. Memories I wish to forget, people I never wanted to see again, are all surfacing. When can I leave! Maybe we both need a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this gives me a thought. If you are living that you are truly not satisfied with, does that mean you're in a prison? Some people may feel that way.

    ReplyDelete