Monday, September 3, 2012

Reading

I have always loved reading. My memory(which could be wrong) seems to state that I really began this hobby around the age of 8 or 9. I got going with the infamous "Goosebumps" books. Most of us remember them or at least know what they are. Kiddy horror. I progressed quickly and after a few more runs with adolescent novels I bumped up to the "The Hobbit", which I loved and of course threw me into the trilogy that follows.

I always have been introduced to books by someone or followed authors that I already knew I enjoyed. This is good and bad. It is good because I usually know that whatever I am about to read will most likely be good, but it's bad because then sometimes I find myself running out of books to read. For some reason I have never been able to just try new books/authors on a whim. Some people will visit the book store or library and just grab something. I just can't seem to do that.

Anyways, like I said, reading has always been something I enjoyed. However, a few years ago I started really scaling back on the books for some reason. It would take me longer and longer to finish a book and then I would sometimes go months between novels, not reading anything at all. I don't really have a clear reason for this happening. I guess I was just distracted with everything else I had going on and when I did have time to relax, I would spend it on something else.

About 2 months ago my wife(who used to NEVER read at all) picked up the "50 Shades of Grey". She immediately fell in love with the trilogy and has been an avid book lover ever since. Before she used to think I was weird or nerdy because I read a lot, but now the tables have turned. Her new found hobby has reminded me of why I love books so much as well, therefore causing me to jump back into the pages of adventure, horror, sci-fi, and fantasy.

Besides my rambling, my point is this. Don't neglect things that you love. Whether it's a hobby, a friend, a family member, a pet, or anything else. Try and keep yourself in tune with why you enjoy whatever or whoever it is that makes you happy. There are many times in life when we re-connect with something/someone we love, only to come to the realization that we should have been together all along. Don't waste any time because you can never get it back. If you love something, do it. If you love someone, let them know.

Oh and happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment