Thursday, October 1, 2015
A South West Town
I never liked going to Devil's turn. It was dangerous. I always end up there though. It was the thing to do in this town. A Small desert town, with nothing for the young people to do but get wasted and race down a particular dangerous set of canyon curves. Gotta stay busy in a South West town.
My group of friends were not chosen. I was born into them. Our fathers grew up together. Some of the mothers did too but a few men managed to snag an out of towner here and there. Friday night, back to Devil's turn.
Fresh meat had arrived. The next town over is 20 miles but now and then our paths cross so we are generally familiar with each other. This weekend has brought a few new racers to the road. A 92 Mustang and somebody must have "borrowed" a grandmothers Crown Victoria judging from how clean that one looked.
The drivers know the risk. Bumps and rubs are common. Full blown wrecks happen from time to time and now and then some blood will flow. Everyone is aware. Everyone is also aware that even though it isn't often, a few drivers have not survived a Friday night like this.
The rules are simple. Win the race. Two miles of tight corners with a rail guard and a ditch on one side and a cliff that shoots straight up from the shoulder of the road on the other. Get to the bottom first and you win. Don't and you loose.
Why keep coming back again and again? To win. Most of the time it's just for entertainment. The winner gets to give the loser one order. It must be followed. There have never been any consequences invented in case the loser does not follow the order. That has never happened here. As discussed, usually it's all for entertainment. Most orders consist of trivial and silly demands. Streak, chug this drink, hit on this person, do an impersonation, sing us a song.
This is how most orders end up. Every now and then though orders have been taken to the next level. Fight this person, steal a bottle of whiskey, make a pass at the toughest guys girlfriend, go find us some heroine, bring around a few high school girls. Things become complicated at this point. The order must be followed. They are always followed, it's the code here.
Two or three times in remembered history the ultimate order was given. Kill someone. I've seen it happen. I've been all too close to it as a matter of fact. Not long ago someone was ordered to kill my father. Of course the order was taken out. I was insane. I almost never came back. In a suicidal decision I took on a race, but instead of joining my father I shattered my leg and then was ordered to give any and all parties involved absolute forgiveness for my fathers death. I had to follow the order.
Now I build my car with patience and care. It is my child. I will learn to drive this car better than anyone and I will ensure it is as fast as it possibly can be. Once I am ready I will take another race. I will win and I will give my final order. I will order my opponent to take to the hills but he will keep it a secret. Secretly he will gather supplies, mostly ammunition. He will disappear, but not truly. He will watch the town and he will watch Devil's turn. With a high powered rifle and booby traps, he will destroy this towns inhabitants. He will repeat these activities until the races become extinct. When successful, he will burn this town to the ground. There will be no survivors for this cursed place must cease to exist. At this point my opponent will be free to do as he will with his life but with one final task. He will hunt me down and kill me. It does not need to be quick and it does not need to be painless. I am of my origins and in that, I must cease to exist as well. My opponent will complete his tasks, or I will find someone else who will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment