Sunday, December 9, 2012

Different Army base different mentality

So I have been in the Army for a little over 8 years now. I started out in Korea. That place is kind of it's own thing altogether. Then I went to Fort Bragg, NC. Spent 3 years there with a deployment in the middle. After that we decided to go try out the Southwest and spent 2 years at Fort Huachuca, AZ. I just recently came back to Fort Bragg and I am so happy I did.

Fort Bragg isn't for everyone. It's for people in the Army that actually want to be Soldiers. Fort Huachuca is for people who want to collect a check and pretend to be Soldiers now and then. Seriously.....my experience in Arizona forever changed my perspective on what it means to be a Soldier.

In Arizona it seemed like a day didn't go by that people weren't constantly complaining about everything. Go for a 3 mile run(which is totally weak by almost all Army standards) and people were crying the whole way and dropping out of the group like crazy. Administrations, good leadership, and proper training were practically non existent. It felt like a small base, full of people that didn't want to do anything that didn't coincide with their own personal agenda. Motivation and morale is low across the board.

Fort Bragg is a completely different story. In my experience, most of the Soldiers I have come into contact with want to better themselves, both professionally and personally. After a 5-6 mile run morale and motivation is at an all time high. Everyone feels great about being in the Army and being physically fit. On the weekends friends and coworkers spend time together because during their experiences they have become close friends.

I am glad I was stationed at both of these stateside bases. It has taught me a lot about the Army and about myself. I have learned what being a Soldier means to me and I will always remember what to do as a leader and what not to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment