Saturday, February 8, 2014

Opportunity

Opportunity is a son of a bitch and it keeps me up at night. As long as there are opportunities to be had, I will not be able to relax. There is a part of me that wishes I lived in a more simple time. In a time when people and nature lived in harmony and wealth didn't exist.


Such a place probably never existed so that is most likely just wishful thinking. Which brings me back to opportunity. I am here in America and it's 2014. There are opportunities everywhere and I am obsessed with finding the right one that works for me. I am fairly happy with where I am in life today but there is so much more out there that I want to do. My main motivation is that I want to be free. Sure every American is technically free but at the same time we are still slaves to the system in one way or another. You have to work every day of your life from the time you are 5 until you are 70, and then you go somewhere to die. That doesn't seem like a great deal to me. If a salesman offered me that deal I would punch him right in the throat. Yet most of us are apparently okay with accepting that "It's just the way things are."

I come from a working class family and my Dad was proud of the hard work he did every day and that is awesome. However, for some reason, I can't seem to get myself onto that same frame of mind. I can't get on board with the idea that you work like a dog your whole life saving up to try and enjoy your golden years, when at that point your body doesn't even work right anymore. What the hell is that? I want to enjoy life when my body is healthy.  I don't feel as though I am motivated by an overwhelming sense of greed, but I would like to be able to do the things I really want to do instead of constantly feeling like I'm saying "I can't afford to do that."

There are so many great things in the world and I just want a chance to experience them. Getting away from situations in which people are constantly telling me what to do would also be a plus. For now I'll keep plugging away though. I'll continue my scheming and someday I'll get there. One way or another I'm going to retire early and start living life on my terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment