So, I was standing in line at the gas station today. The line was long, things were moving slow, the debit/credit lines were down and the poor girl behind the counter was having a hell of a time trying to help people out. In walks the antagonist. A middle aged women who looks like she is a Beverly Hills wannabe. She has got some feathered, bleached, strange haircut thing going on, a ton of age concealing make up, and the looks of some fairly poor plastic surgery in her chest. Immediately upon entering the line she starts huffing and puffing about the wait. I mean literally huffing and puffing. Every 45 seconds or so she would let out a big disgruntled sigh and complain about the line. Then she starts talking. It then becomes obvious that she thinks she is better than anyone else. As she complains, she starts trashing on the workers, who mind you, are desperately trying to speed things up. Me, being my talkative self, attempts to get her to chill out by joking around with her.
"Where do they pick these people up" she says.
"Maybe they draw names out of a hat" I say in a joking matter.
"No I'll tell you what it is, it's affirmative action" she says.
"Than leave if you don't like it" I say.
She lets out another huff and ceases to talk to me. So we learned that not only is this lady ignorant, but she was foolish as well. First of all we are in the south, in a military town. Most of the locals here are black, so obviously they are going to hold most of the local jobs. I suppose she was somehow inferring that had all the workers been white, the debit/credit line would never have gone down and things would just be running swimmingly. My lord, some people's ignorance surprised the hell out of me. I used to be a somewhat close minded person. That was the way I was raised. After I joined the military and got a chance to be around people from all different kinds of cultures I realized that it truly doesn't matter where someone hails from. We are humans. Not blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, and Arabs. Just humans, and the sooner people realize it, the sooner we can all start acting like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
AMEN! You are absolutely correct, Matthew. By the way, Military Man, Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYour very welcome:)
ReplyDelete