Sunday, May 30, 2010
The Korean situation
Here we go again. It almost seems to be old news hearing about North Korea acting up. It seems to come in cycles. They do something they shouldn't, everyone gets on edge in case a war flares up, then they calm down and behave for a little while. People have got to be sick of this. This time is a little different though. South Korean sailors were killed. Can you imagine if this happened to an American ship? We would have already attacked and defeated North Korea. There is a problem with that though, and it's name is China. If North Korea was a stand alone country than I think we would have already handled them by now. China however, complicates the situation. They back the North because they are communist buddies together, however, I don't think they want to see war in the area period. Not only because the North is their ally but because they want to keep trade flowing smoothly. South Korea is outraged and they are backed by us. North Korea is defiant and they are backed by China. It is possible that if this thing were to really kick off, and China got pissed about it, World War III could start. I don't think that is going to happen but it is possible. I really do believe that if push came to shove China would let the North drown. I don't believe they want a war at all. We still have to tread lightly though. As a soldier and having been stationed in South Korea for two years, I have a great deal of respect for the country. They are a remarkable people and do not deserve to be hassled by the North. It is high time that someone puts a stop to the Norths belligerent behavior. It is seriously becoming ridiculous. If called upon I would not be mad if I had to return to South Korea to defend her from the North. That is the level of respect I have for that country. Of course if you ask a soldier (or any redneck from the country :) we already have a master plan to fix the world. Bomb all of our enemies. Destroy the Middle East and North Korea. Start from scratch. This is not what I believe and if you have ever been around them you would know that soldiers just like to talk a lot of shit. Of course we can't just take everyone over and turn all of our enemy countries into little versions of ourselves. That is not the way things are done, nor is it the way they should be done. I strongly believe in and respect the diversity of the cultures of the world. We should not interfere with them for the most part, but when us or our allies are threatened or attacked we need to be ready to do what is necessary. I'm not saying rally the troops and storm the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone, border between North and South Korea), but something needs to be done about North Korea. I think we have all had enough of their behavior and they seem to think they are untouchable. It might come down to us showing them that they most certainly are touchable. In fact, we are pretty good at reaching out to touch someone if you catch my meaning. Soldiers have a large appetite. They are always hungry.
Labels:
Cheonan,
Communism,
Korea,
military,
North Korea,
South Korea,
War
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
nice commentary. "Soldiers have a large appetite." you seem to have been assigned to 2nd Infantry Div. (^^)
ReplyDeleteThanks. I appreciate your visit :)
ReplyDelete