Monday, September 19, 2011

To all of you acting and would be medical professionals

I have been in the hospital for almost a week now taking care of my wife. Of course the experience has been less than pleasurable. However, there are factors that can influence this type of situation. Those factors are people.

In our time here we have met some really great staff. They have helped us out in a time of need and their service has truly been appreciated. On the flip side, we have met some people that have been absolutely terrible. I believe that some medical personnel forget that they are dealing with actual people. This is not just a job, you are influencing someones life. My wife isn't room 1415 god dammit. She is my wife, a wonderful mother, a loving daughter, and last but not least, an American Soldier.

The people that treat patients as a burden have forgotten their purpose. They are here to help people, to facilitate healing, and to provide comfort. People are not numbers and they are not to be treated as such. Those of you in the military probably know exactly what I am talking about. Military doctors and dentists are notorious for trying to push soldiers through their office as fast as they can. We get treated like a nothing more than a uniform. In fact, there are probably some cases when our uniforms at the cleaners get better treatment than we do at the doctor.

My point is this; if you chose a medical career path, you devoted your life to helping people. Just like I devoted my life to the service of my country. I take my oath and my career very seriously. Soldiers are my life. If I can ever do anything to help a soldier, I will drop everything and handle that issue on the spot if I can. This is the attitude medical personnel need to have. I know you are busy, but don't forget what you are dealing with. It's not a room number or just some soldier. It's a human being.

If this is the profession you chose, or something you are thinking about doing in the future. Realize this; you have the opportunity to soften a persons traumatic experience, or make it worse. The choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment