This book is a bit off from my normal reading themes. I usually stick with sci-fi, fantasy, and horror fiction(Stephen King and Dean Koontz). However, this book was very good and I highly recommend it.
Beach Music is not the best book I have ever read. However, it contains some of the best stories I have ever read. The book is about a man and all of the people in his life. A large portion of the book actually ends up being back stories and personal histories. These stories within the story are where Pat Conroy makes his money. They are absolutely amazing(although sometimes a little disturbing, dealing with the early rural south and the holocaust).
Be aware, this is a book you have to be a little bit dedicated to. As I stated, inside this book are some of the best stories I have ever read and they really stayed with me. There are a few parts that are a little slow though and sometimes if almost feels as if the author is trying to say too much.
Verbose-using too many words: expressed in or using too many words.
Never are you dealing with mind numbing boredom or anything like that, it's just that here and there it gets a bit wordy and the pace changes very fast. Other than that Pat Conroy uses the English language remarkably well. His style of writing is very artistic and well thought out. Keep a dictionary handy!
Overall a very good book that I think any reader should try. Someone sent it to me while I was deployed, otherwise I probably would never have glanced twice at it. Now, however, I will be looking into other works by this author. I guess I'm a fan.
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment